Escalator Accidents Happen When You Least Expect It!
We truly live in an amazing time. Technology changes everyday, and modern conveniences are constantly making our lives easier. Sometimes, we take these conveniences for granted.
We never expect that when we get onto an escalator at the local mall, or in the subway station that it may malfunction but accidents happen on escalators and when they do the injuries can be catastrophic!
Escalator Accidents Aren’t As Uncommon As You’d Think
Incidents involving escalators seriously injure over 17,000 people each year in the United States, according to data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
How does this happen? The majority of escalator accidents are caused by the improper maintenance and servicing of the escalator and its equipment. These accidents could easily have been prevented if the escalators had been correctly installed or correctly serviced and maintained after installation.
That is where The Law Offices of Darren T. Moore P.C. steps in to help. You want a firm that is familiar with the Laws that apply in New York to escalator accidents and you want an escalator accident attorney who is familiar with the different types of situations, incidents and scenarios that cause an escalator to malfunction, to speed up, to jolt or jerk to catch your clothes and consequently cause injury.
Escalators Are Typically Found In:
- Shopping Malls
- Corporate Facilities and Large Office Building
- Subway Stations
- Train Stations
- Bus depots
- Sports venues
- Book or Other Multi-Level Stores
- Arenas or Other Entertainment Venues
Escalators Accidents May Be Caused Due To:
- Faulty Wiring
- Loose Teeth Or Treads
- Uneven Steps Or Tracking
- Sudden Stops, Jolts and/or Jerks
- Changes in Speed
- Debris and Trash blocking the steps or combs
- Broken escalator steps
- Clothing caught in the steps, side panels or handrail
Was the escalator properly installed? Maintained? Correctly calibrated? Previously inspected? Has there been a build up of trash and debris? There are a number of factors that may come into play when an escalator accident occurs and you need a firm familiar with the area and a firm that is willing to do the prompt investigative work that these accidents require.
What investigative work?
- Obtaining and Preserving Surveillance footage
- Obtaining Witness Statements
- Obtaining information from the City of New York and the Department of Buildings as to any complaints, violations and previous inspection results
- Identify the relevant parties responsible for the escalator – who owns, installed, maintains?
- Who has the service contract? What does that entail?
The firm that is here to do that work for you and get you the compensation that you deserve is The Law Offices of Darren T. Moore P.C. and our escalator accident lawyers will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. The Law Offices of Darren T. Moore P.C. are here to help you!