Millions Recovered for Personal Injury Accident
$5.25MillionMotorist injured in a car accident suffering injury to his neck and back.
$2MillionWoman who suffered back and foot injuries in a motor vehicle accident.
$0.675MillionWoman who slipped and fell on snow and ice.
As a personal injury law firm, our Motto is “MOOREJUSTICE,” and we seek that in every case retained by our firm. Call us or fill out our online contact form today for a free consultation.
Have You Been Hit By a Car or Knocked Down?
Known in the legal world as a pedestrian knockdown, unfortunately, each and every day on the streets and roadways of New York City, Manhattan and New York, people are needlessly and seriously injured crossing our streets and roadways whether walking, skating, or even in a wheelchair. The City is so densely populated with pedestrian and vehicle traffic that the pedestrian knockdown is a daily norm in New York.
We have pedestrian crosswalks, walk signals and designated areas for people to walk safely yet people are hit, struck and knocked down by cars, bicycles, and trucks each and every day.
On average, New York City sees between 10,000 and 12,000 pedestrian accidents a year. Of those accidents? Around 150 per year result in fatality.
As recently as 2018, the NYPD wrote roughly 1,066,000 moving violation tickets, including 152,368 for speeding and 211,887 for ignoring a traffic signal. School zone and red light cameras issued hundreds of thousands more (information gathered from NYC.gov). Sadly, what this means, is that pedestrians may not always be protected by common street laws. Not when there are drivers who continue to disobey traffic laws.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of any type of pedestrian accident, don’t hesitate to call the personal injury attorneys’ at the Law Offices of Darren T. Moore P.C. today!
Pedestrian Accidents May Be Caused By:
- Inattentive Drivers
- Aggressive drivers and Road Rage
- The battle to beat the Red Light
- Improper overtaking
- Improper lane use
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Disregard of walk signals
- Sun glare
- Cell phone use
- Radio or passenger distraction
- Blind spots on big buses and trucks
- Poor lighting
- Weather conditions
- Defective traffic signals and/or lights
New York Vehicle and Traffic Law
The New York Vehicle and Traffic Law provides strict laws that all motorists must abide as it relates to pedestrians within and even outside of the crosswalk because often times people cross the streets and roadways near the crosswalk but outside of the white lines or even in the suitable areas of the roadway but where no crosswalk actually exists. It’s important to speak with the pedestrian injury attorney’s at THE LAW OFFICES OF DARREN T. MOORE P.C. who are familiar with the specific rules and laws that apply to pedestrian accidents.
Who will cover my medical treatment and pay for my bills?
New York city and State follow a no-fault insurance system. Our pedestrian accident lawyers specialize in pedestrian accident cases throughout New York. What is crucial to note is that if you were struck by a vehicle, you as the pedestrian may apply for no fault or Personal Injury Protection (PIP) benefits meaning all of your hospital bills, medical bills, and other related expenses up to a maximum of $50,000 will be paid by the insurance company for the vehicle or truck that struck you. PLEASE NOTE that you must file that application within 30 days of your accident. Again this is where an experienced pedestrian accident law firm will take over and take care of this for you.
What do I do if I am involved in an accident?
Your health is your wealth and the most important thing to do if you have been injured is to get the treatment that you need, whether that’s from the emergency room of a nearby hospital or a nearby urgent care facility. The last thing most people think of when they have been injured is what should I do if I later bring a lawsuit but if you have been involved in a car accident, below is a list of tips for what you should do:
- Call the police ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!
- Tell the police exactly what happened
- Do not admit fault or even say “Sorry” to the other driver(s)
- Obtain the insurance information and license plate number of the vehicle(s) involved in the accident
- Take pictures of the damage done to your vehicle and the other vehicle(s) involved
- Determine if there are any witnesses
- Document everything
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Provide medical staff with your correct name, address and facts relating to your accident
- Make sure that you inform the EMS personnel and the staff at the ER/Medical facility of all ailments, not just the one that hurts the most at that time
- Contact the personal injury attorneys’ at The Law Office of Darren T. Moore P.C.
What does the law firm do for me if I am a pedestrian struck by a vehicle?
- In depth Intake and Investigation
- File No Fault application for you with your insurance company
- File a Notice of Claim if a City or Municipal vehicle was involved
- Obtain the owner and operators information and insurance details of the vehicle(s) involved in your accident
- Investigate your claim which may include having an investigator obtain witness statements and pictures of the vehicles involved and the accident location
- Obtain any surveillance that may have captured your accident
- Use high-tech accident reconstruction experts and video animation where required
- Obtain medical documents, records and speak with your medical experts
- Handle all aspects of complex litigation including depositions and trials
- Evaluate claim
- Identify if there are any other avenues of liability such as negligent roadway design cases or roadway defects
- Keep client constantly informed of the process
What types of compensation can I recover in a car accident?
Known as the damages portion of a case it’s important that clients know what they are entitled to when they start a lawsuit for their injuries. In New York, you are entitled to claim for the following damages:
- Pain and Suffering – Physical and Emotional
- Past and Future Medical Expenses
- Past and Future Loss of Wages, Earnings and Benefits
- Punitive Damages in certain situations – such as drink driving situations
Each item of damages needs to be dealt with separately and specifically and involves in many cases the hiring of experts in the medical and financial professions such as economists, life care planners, and vocational rehabilitation experts so as to calculate accurately how much money is needed to fully and adequately compensate an injured person not just presently but taking into account future factors such as inflation. The Law Offices of Darren T. Moore enlist and work with the best experts in their fields to make sure that each client gets the representation that they not only need but deserve.
At The Law Office of Darren T. Moore, victims, as well as their family members, are well represented. Our experienced car accident attorneys work hard to determine the cause of the car accident and pursue the liable parties to win the best possible compensation.
WHAT IF AN INSURANCE COMPANY CONTACTS ME AFTER MY ACCIDENT?
You should very politely, but very sternly, direct them to speak with your personal injury attorney. They will understand, they know they are not really there for you.
If you have not yet retained a personal injury attorney, it is vital that you do not sign anything or give any recorded statements. Doing so can void your legal right to financial compensation.