If you are injured in a car accident, you know that potentially you have a claim for compensation against the at-fault driver’s insurance policy. That compensation can include money for pain and suffering, past and future medical expenses and possible loss of earnings.

Unfortunately, In certain cases, people end up involved in an accident with a vehicle that has no insurance or they’re involved in a “hit and run” accident where the driver flees the scene of the accident without leaving their insurance information, that is, if they even had any insurance in the first place. According to the Insured Research Council (IRC), approximately 1 in 8 motorists (13.0%) in the United States in 2015 were uninsured. That percentage has been steadily increasing since it reached a record low of 12.3 in 2010. New York is widely recognized as one of the most accident-prone states in the United States shockingly an estimated 13.8% (1 in 7) of those motorists are uninsured.

The IRC also estimated in 2017 that the total bill for American motorists is approximately $12 billion per year. This sum excludes the cost to taxpayers of legal claims filed against uninsured drivers that aim to revoke their licenses or compel them to pay fines. A CBS News report from 2017 also estimated that uninsured drivers across the U.S. add $67 annually on average to an ordinary policyholder’s bill. This is significant given how high yearly premiums for auto insurance plans have become in recent years (over $900 in some cases).

What do I do if I’m involved in an accident with an uninsured vehicle?

Often, you won’t know immediately if the vehicle involved is uninsured so you should do what every person should do when involved in a car accident:

  • Get medical attention
  • Call the police – THIS IS CRUCIAL – you must alert the police of your accident within 24 hours in order to be entitled to uninsured motorist benefits.
  • Take photographs and/or videos of the damage done and any injury sustained, e.g. bleeding, cuts, scars
  • Obtain contact information for any witnesses to the incident

If it is established that the vehicle that caused your accident was uninsured, you are entitled to file a claim with your insurance company for UM (Uninsured Motorist) benefits. It’s important to note that filing a UM claim will not go against you nor should it lead to an increase in your premium. UM coverage is afforded to every driver in the State of New York who operates an insured vehicle and is there to protect our drivers from careless, reckless and dangerous drivers who operate vehicles without insurance. It’s important to seek the advice and direction of an experienced car accident attorney in Manhattan.

Speak To A Car Accident Attorney 

If you have been injured in a car accident, as stated above, be sure to seek medical attention immediately. This is important to do even if you haven’t sustained a serious injury (e.g. a bone fracture or severe disfigurement) as neck or back pain and other symptoms may not arise until several days after your accident. Shock and adrenaline can kick in immediately after an accident so it is important to be safe than sorry, go to the ER or even an urgent care to get checked out if you feel you have sustained any injury. Afterward, contact a reputable personal injury attorney in New York. The Law Offices of Darren T. Moore PC in New York can assist you extensively after such a setback. Our car accident attorneys take great pride in being there for our clients at what can be their hardest hour. Our car accident attorneys in Manhattan, New York will:

  • File your No-Fault application
  • File the application for Uninsured Motorist Arbitration with the American Arbitration Association
  • Represent you at your examination under oath
  • Take care of providing the insurance company with all the medicals and authorizations that they are entitled to, in order for them to evaluate the claim.

Again it is important to reiterate and emphasize that in order to bring an Uninsured Motorist (UM) claim against your own insurance company, you must alert the police of your accident within 24 hours. To receive no-fault benefits and have your insurance cover your medical expenses (including an Emergency Room visit if this applies), be sure to file a No-Fault application within 30 days of your accident.

Call the car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Darren T. Moore PC for free today at (917) 809-7014 or contact us online for more information and a free consultation.  Our motto is “MOORE JUSTICE” and we seek to accomplish this for everybody.